Post at the Battery
Torry, is the South East suburb of Aberdeen on the south bank of the river Dee, and was granted a Royal Charter in 1495. It was incorporated into Aberdeen in 1891 after the construction of the Victoria Bridge across the River Dee.
The Torry Point Battery was built in 1859 -1861 to protect Aberdeen harbour. At the time it had nine heavy guns. Later in 1861, 2 of the heaviest armaments of the time were installed and were capable of attacking ships up to 10 miles out at sea. It was fully manned during the First and Second World Wars and finally decommissioned in 1956. In the 1950s it provided shelter for homeless families. Nowadays, it is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and a great place to view Aberdeen Bay’s resident Bottlenose Dolphins.